Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dillon Produce Courier Service

Ever since I moved to Calgary seven years ago, my Mom (who has her own market garden in Manitoba) has been shipping produce with anyone who has the unlucky fortune to let her know that they are going to, or driving through, or going to be anywhere in the relative vicinity of Calgary. I've picked up boxes from all over the city: from the trunks of cars at five in the morning, from people's doorsteps who I've never met, at obligatory visits with relatives from out of town.

When I started working at Blush Lane, I finally had something to send back with those poor souls who had turned into our personal courier service. At this time of year, one doesn't dare mention "Calgary" or even "Alberta" around my mother, who refuses to eat any peach other than a Blush Lane one, and ate so many nectarines when she was pregnant with me that the mere thought of a juicy, sweet nectarine gets me salivating.

She left me an excited message early this week that her neighbour Susan is going to be coming to Calgary for a few days and has "the whole backseat!" available for fruit transit. So, she called again today to see what is available.

Well, poor Susan couldn't have picked a better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) time to drive out to Calgary. We've got ridiculous. That's RIDICULOUS. Peaches. (There has to be a period after it just so you pause and consider what it means for a peach to be. RIDICULOUS.) They are incredible.
We have mini nectarines, which are everything you want from a great nectarine, just mini. Amazing apricots, something you can't truly appreciate until you've had a really, truly, amazing one. Santa Rosa plums, one of which juiced all over the front of my shirt today, and I couldn't even care because my eyes were watering with the deliciousness! Even my favourite, prune plums, such a surprising yellow on the inside and not too sweet. And of course, we still have cherries and blueberries, sweet and flavourful and beautiful.

So, it looks like Susan's going to have a very full car when she goes back to Manitoba, and a few lucky people in Brandon will get to have a taste of our veritable rainbow of seasonal summer fruit. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a kohlrabi or a bag of cucumbers in return!

5 comments:

  1. I'm looking for freestones in Edmonton, and not having any success. Do you have a depot here? What is your cost for a case of freestones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this info! My wife has been searching for a courier in Calgary to help deliver some invites for our daughters marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I frequently find myself wishing I lived in a bigger city that had courier services. It's such a darn handy service to have around when you need certain things delivered.

    Chester Jones | http://www.monarchmessenger1975.com/en/courier.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warehousing and courier of perishable goods is really difficult. They need roper temperature conditions and care to maintain the quality. Sending flowers, fruits through same day delivery Dallas is the best option. Tried and tested by many of my friends. Will send chocolates and bouquet to my mother though them on her birthday next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks man for sharing your experience and interesting information regarding courier service. This information will be very helpful for those people who are working with courier service.Keep it up

    UPS Shipping Times

    ReplyDelete